A bandstand was erected in the park in March 1890 which quickly became a popular place for people to congregate and socialise. During the summer evenings and holidays it was used by a range of local bands. From 1920 the bandstand was also home to the open air school which was attended by children who were thought to be too frail for full-time education, either because of malnutrition or often because they had tuberculosis. As students were given 3 meals a day, attendance rates were very high, even in the coldest weather. The school continued to be used until after the Second World War.