After the British won the Crimean war, cannons from the war were distributed all around parks in Great Britain and some people say that one of them was put in Victoria Park. However, it is more likely that the cannon in this park was one of three which were given to Bristol Corporation when HMS Daedalus was commissioned.
The cannon was added in 1898 at the same time as a bandstand, two drinking fountains and a railed circular pond. Along with the railings that surrounded the park, it was removed and melted down for use in the Second World War, but it was replaced with a lamppost/bench that is still there today between the rose gardens to the north of the Lodge.
The lamppost in 2008